Studying English Literature at BWS (2021-2022)
We have put together a series of preparatory tasks that you should try to complete before the beginning of the course. These can be found in the accompanying PowerPoint presentation. In addition, we would recommend you to read through the A level English Lit Students’ Handbook, which can be found on the BWS school website at the following address:
This will give you detailed information about the course and contains some ideas about recommended wider reading.
Students beginning Year 12 in September 2021 will be required to purchase the following texts for the course. Pupil premium students, or those with other bursary requirements should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about financial support.
The ISBN indicates which editions you should try to get hold of, although if you cannot get hold of that specific one, it won’t matter too much:
- The Tempest by William Shakespeare (ISBN 11107615534)
- The Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (ISBN 18532642296)
- The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (ISBN 0099588110)
- A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (ISBN 0141190272)
- Dracula by Bram Stoker (ISBN 13 9786073142694) -The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster (ISBN-13: 978-1472520654)
You will also need:
- Atonement by Ian McEwan (ISBN 0099429799)
- The World’s Wife by Carol Ann Duffy (BODC6PM7DO)
English Department, BWS